Tuesday, April 14, 2009

MY BRUSHFIRED FACE

so, i was just flipping through my moleskin book looking for some lyrics to a song on the cd's i am burning, and i found this song i wrote in the winter, amidst all my awful times. the song refers to "caught in the trees", meaning it was written for damien after he and sarah had been there for me helping me and taking care of me. i don't really remember even writing this, or where it came from, but it is interesting to see it now. we are in such a better place, off and a trip feeling happy and hopeful and both in love with very special people. it just goes to show you, if you hang on tight, it will get better, and you will come down from the mountain.

MY BUSHFIRED FACE :12/4/08

but if you are caught in the trees
and i am stuck in the woods
and if i had a plan
if i had a plan
i may take action if i am not protected
by your overcoat
no lanterns
no signals

you are caught in the trees
and i am buried in the soil beneath
rapid pulse and a shuffled gate
and i made a plan
i made a plan
and i could hear you
wringing your hands
caught in the trees
with your slashing, rapid pulse
dialated pupils
no lanterns
no signals

you were caught in the trees
and my body grew weak
underneath near a trunk
i was down in the brush
waiting in your overcoat
rapid pulse and tearfullness
about to light the match
i had a plan
i had a plan
to make you a lantern
and free you
from the trees
if you could not save me
then i would not let you go unprotected
a lantern for you, from me, from my shuffled gate
my rapid pulse, my brushfired face, my tearfullness
and dialated eyes, you could see them on your way out
oh i had a plan
and i got you out
but i took with me your overcoat

and you could not protect me
from my brushfired face and the crackle of the trees
oh you could not protect me
i had a plan to make you light
oh friend, oh friend of mine.
oh ghost of mine
oh i will not let you go unprotected

1 comment:

  1. Jamie.. this gave me chills. I mean it. You're an amazingly gifted writer. I'm really glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete